Skip to content

Energy Performance Certificates

Low Energy Supermarket, has EPC accredited assessors & can undertake residential or commercial Energy Performance Certificates (EPC’s), in the Warrington, Chester, Liverpool, Manchester or Wigan areas.

Residential Energy certificates generally start from around £49.  
Commercial energy certificates will vary in price depending on the size and complexity of the building but these can be obtained from around £100. Larger buildings will be significantly more.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) give information on how to make your home or commercial property more energy efficient and reduce your energy costs. All property bought, sold or rented requires an EPC. An EPC is valid for ten years.

The legislation requiring EPCs is – The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2011.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) have been required for all residential property since August 2007 and since the from 1st October 2008 for all commercial property.  As of April 2012, the EPC regulations have been tightened meaning that an EPC must be produced before the property is put on the market.  EPC’s must be in place within a maximum of 7 days from the start of marketing (extended to a maximum of 28 days) or the property agent will be required take the property off the market.

Property produces 44 percent of the UK’s CO2 emissions, of which 18 percent emanates from existing commercial buildings.  Even small improvements to the energy performance of our homes, shops and offices and the way we use our property could have a significant effect on our fuel bills and carbon emissions.

Energy Certificates have been introduce to give home and commercial building occupiers information on how they can improve their energy efficiency.  Some improvements such and lighting and roof insulation can have a quick payment with potential energy bill reductions of £100’s of per year.  Other improvements may require slightly longer investment but can be highly beneficial in the long term.

An EPC is required when a building is built, rented or sold. A building is defined as a structure with a roof and walls which uses energy to ‘condition an indoor climate’. ‘Condition’ means it has heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation.

The building can either be a whole building or part of a building that has been designed or altered to be used separately. If a building is made up of separate units, each with its own heating system, each unit will need an EPC.

For more details of when and which types of buildings require an EPC, read ‘Improving the energy efficiency of our buildings’ at the link below

EPC Enquiry

Please provide as much information as possible. This will help us deal with your enquiry quickly.

    What happens if you are not given an EPC

    If you’re not given an EPC when you are entitled to it, you should contact the trading standards department of your local council. Trading standards officers have the power to issue a fixed penalty notice of £200 for domestic properties where an EPC is not provided.

    If you are buying a newly built home and an EPC hasn’t been provided, you should contact the building control department of your local council.