Empower for Schools
Help Teachers, staff and pupils play a part in achieveing energy and carbon for your school with an interactive online tool.
The ground-breaking Empower for Schools™ application is an interactive online tool, designed to help your staff and pupils to cut carbon and save money on energy bills. The cost of one year's access to this tool is only £650.
The Carbon Trust's experience of working with over 3,000 schools over 10 years indicates that schools can save up to £21,500 per year in energy bills, equivalent to the cost of a newly qualified teacher. Over 250 schools that recently worked with the Carbon Trust have gone on to save an average of 14% on energy bills in the first 3 months alone, with future savings forecast to reach up to 25% per year.
The Empower for Schools tool is a key component of the Carbon Trust Schools Support. It includes advice and recommendations on all carbon hotspots in a school, and the ability to collate and see pledges and responses from staff and students. It also includes step by step training guides for carrying out onsite upgrades to lighting, heating and other common equipment with electrical consumption.
Empower for Schools – Full version
The full version of the tool is available to participants of our Schools Support service. The full version is a much more extensive and interactive website with:
· Detailed step by step guidance documents in the additional support and guidance section, to help implement the energy and carbon saving measures
· Seven new areas to explore, covering all areas of a conventional school as well as energy and carbon use in the home.
· Up to six pledges/tips for each area, looking at the top thirty five low and zero cost energy saving measures for schools, based on 10 years of Carbon Trust experience.
· The option for all school users, including pupils, staff, teachers, governors and senior management to audit the online school and make personal or school-wide pledges. This can be done as homework, in lesson time or as a group activity.
· The option for an administrator to collate all recommendations for the school and commit to an energy and carbon reduction "School Action Plan" which includes selected actions and can be altered with timescales and progress
· The quizzes, carbon comparisons and tips for pupils and teachers section of the demo have many more examples, questions and advice.
· Half termly themes to focus on a year-long campaign of energy saving, focussing on seasonal relevant energy saving (lighting and heating in the colder, darker months and cooling and switch of campaigns in the summer months leading into the holidays)