The SmartSolar charge controller will even recharge a severely depleted battery. It can operate with a battery voltage as low as 0 Volts, provided the cells are not permanently sulphated or otherwise damaged.
MPPT: Ultra Fast Maximum Power Point Tracking
By constantly monitoring the voltage and current output of your solar (PV) panels, MPPT technology ensures that every drop of available power is rinsed out of your panels, and harvested for storage. The advantage of this is most noticeable when the sky is partially clouded, and light intensity is constantly changing.
Remote Monitoring and Control
Remotely control and monitor the extensive features of your SmartSolar MPPT charger with built-in Bluetooth by pairing it with your smartphone or other device via VictronConnect. If your installation is connected to the internet Victron Remote Management Portal (VRM) provides access to the full power of your MPPT, anytime, anywhere; both services are free to use. For remote installations – even when there is no internet connection or phone signal nearby – you may be able to monitor your MPPT by Bluetooth-pairing with a LoRaWAN (long-range wide area network) device, available optionally.
The intelligent Load output function prevents damage caused by running batteries ‘flat’. You can configure the voltage at which SmartSolar disconnects a load – thereby preventing excessive drain on your batteries. And here’s the clever bit: SmartSolar will attempt a 100% recharge every day. If it can’t – during periods of poor weather – it raises the disconnect voltage, daily, until it achieves success. We call this feature BatteryLife because it maintains the health, and extends the life of your battery.
Bluetooth Smart built-in
The wireless solution to set-up, monitor, update and synchronise SmartSolar Charge Controllers.
For a wired data connection to a Color Control GX, other GX products, PC or other devices
Ultra-fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) Especially in case of a clouded sky, when light intensity is changing continuously, an ultra-fast MPPT controller will improve energy harvest by up to 30% compared to PWM charge controllers and by up to 10% compared to slower MPPT controllers.
Over-discharge of the battery can be prevented by connecting all loads to the load output. The load output will disconnect the load when the battery has been discharged to a pre-set voltage (48V model: interface with a relay).
Alternatively, an intelligent battery management algorithm can be chosen: see Battery Life.
The load output is short circuit proof.
Battery Life: intelligent battery management
When a solar charge controller is not able to recharge the battery to its full capacity within one day, the result is often that the battery will continually be cycled between a ‘partially charged’ state and the ‘end of discharge’ state. This mode of operation (no regular full recharge) will destroy a lead-acid battery within weeks or months.
The Battery Life algorithm will monitor the state of charge of the battery and, if needed, day by day slightly increase the load disconnect level (i.e. disconnect the load earlier) until the harvested solar energy is sufficient to recharge the battery to nearly the full 100%. From that point onwards, the load disconnect level will be modulated so that a nearly 100% recharge is achieved about once every week.
Internal temperature sensor
Compensates absorption and float charge voltage for temperature.
Optional external battery voltage and temperature sensing via Bluetooth
A Smart Battery Sense or a BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor can be used to communicate battery voltage and temperature to one or more SmartSolar Charge Controllers.
Fully discharged battery recovery function
Will initiate charging even if the battery has been discharged to zero volts.
Will reconnect to a fully discharged Li-ion battery with integrated disconnect function.
SmartSolar Charge Controller MPPT 100/20
- Battery voltage (auto select) 12/24V
- Rated charge current 20A
- Nominal PV power, 12V 1a,b)290W
- Nominal PV power, 24V 1a,b) 580W
- Max. PV short circuit current 2) 20A
- Automatic load disconnect Yes
- Max. PV open circuit voltage 100V
- Peak efficiency 98%
- Self-consumption 12V: 25 mA 24V: 15 mA
- Charge voltage ‘absorption’ 14,4V / 28,8V (adjustable)
- Charge voltage ‘float’ 13,8V / 27,6V (adjustable)
- Charge algorithm multi-stage adaptive
- Temperature compensation -16 mV / °C resp. -32 mV / °C
- Max. continuous load current 20A
- Low voltage load disconnect 11,1V / 22,2V / 44,4V or 11,8V / 23,6V / 47,2V or Battery Life algorithm
- Low voltage load reconnect 13,1V / 26,2V / 52,4V or 14V / 28V / 56V or Battery Life algorithm
- Protection Output short circuit / Over temperature
- Operating temperature -30 to +60°C (full rated output up to 40°C)
- Humidity 95%, non-condensing
- Data communication port VE.Direct
- Colour Blue (RAL 5012)
- Power terminals 6 mm² / AWG10
- Protection category IP43 (electronic components), IP22 (connection area)
- Weight 0,65 kg
- Dimensions (h x w x d) 100 x 113 x 60 mm
- Safety EN/IEC 62109-1, UL 1741, CSA C22.2
1a) If more PV power is connected, the controller will limit input power.
1b) The PV voltage must exceed Vbat + 5V for the controller to start.
Thereafter the minimum PV voltage is Vbat + 1V
2) A PV array with a higher short circuit current may damage the controller.